Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Express Thanks

By definition, expressing our thankfulness as we focus on the present moment, on appreciating our lives as it is today and what has made it so. There are a multitude of things that have happened in my lifetime that I am thankful for. I am thankful for the wonderful and loving parents I was blessed with. I had two wonderful brothers who were 11 and 9 when I was born. I remember this story with Scott the youngest of the two. I was probably about 4 or 5 at the time, I didn't understand that he had homework and couldn't play with me. So, I told him that Mama would buy me some homework. I thought their purpose in life was to play with their baby sister. The oldest, Mike passed away years before he should have. I have always thought that things happened for a reason. But, I have been tested with that after Mike died. Losing a sibling is much harder than losing a parent. You expect to bury your parents but you don't expect to bury a sibling at 36. My dad owned his own business until I was about 13. We were what most people would have considered "well to do" back then. I was teased mercifully about that growing up. My mom drove a white Mercedes Coupe back in the 1980's so it was hard to fight that back then. I can remember at Christmas asking my dad for money for presents. It was nothing for him to pull out $300 and give to me. But, I didn't understand what that meant. Money had no value to me at 12. I think everybody thought I was this spoiled brat, that got everything she wished for. Looking back, I don't think I was spoiled. I have always been overweight and I had a cousin tell me that if she had parents like mine that could afford all these clothes for her, she would lose weight. She just couldn't understand why I wouldn't do whatever in my power to lose the weight and get good clothes. The reason....the clothes and the money didn't matter to me. The fact that my family loved me was enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment